2024 Graduation & Commencement Ceremony
Please see the Registrar’s organization page in Blackboard for graduation forms and information.
Upon completion of their program, or when otherwise departing the university, ICC-B students should formally out-process from NIU. An official out-processing form will be disseminated in order to help facilitate this process. Academic Center students will receive any necessary out-processing requirements from their Center Director. Full-time military students will receive additional information about their out-processing requirements from NIU’s Joint Military Personnel Office.
Tasks to be completed, as applicable for each student, include:
- Returning books to the Library
- Returning computer tokens to the IT office
- Cleaning out lockers and returning locks to the Student Affairs office
- Return student badges to the ICC-B front desk or Visitor’s Center
If you would like to purchase a diploma frame and/or a class ring, contact NIU’s sales representatives for more information:
Eligible graduating students will be admitted into the i, by invitation only. An invitation to join requires a nomination by NIU’s chapter. The Registrar’s Office will notify NIU’s PKP chapter of students’ eligibility after all Spring Quarter grades for graduating students have been received. Students will be notified of their Phi Kappa Phi nomination in June by the NIU PKP Chapter.
- Undergraduate Eligibility Requirements: Students must have completed at least 135 quarter hours, with at least 36 quarter hours at NIU, and rank in the top 10 percent of their class.
- Graduate Eligibility Requirements: Students must have completed at least 27 quarter hours at NIU, and rank in the top 10 percent of their class.
NIU holds one annual Commencement Ceremony to celebrate summer graduation for graduates of the MSSI, MSTI, and BSI programs (December graduates are also able to attend the ceremony, by request). The AY24 Commencement will take place Friday, June 28 (10:00am – 12:00pm), as stated in the AY24 Academic Calendar.
Rachel M. Schlesinger Concert Hall & Arts Center, on the Northern Virginia Community College Alexandra Campus (4915 E Campus Dr., Alexandria, VA 22311).
- Handicap Seating & Other Accommodations: If you or any of your guests will require wheelchair accessible seating or other assistance, please email NIU_Student_Affairs@niu.odni.gov with your requirements.
Rehearsal will be held the morning before Commencement, on Thursday, June 27, at Schlesinger Hall. All graduates who are planning to attend graduation, are required to attend rehearsal.
Faculty & Staff Information
Faculty and staff are reminded that attendance at Commencement as that day’s place of duty – and participation in one form or another – is expected and encouraged, unless on authorized leave.
Faculty should work with the Staff Officers in their Dean’s Office to coordinate whether they will be participating in regalia onstage, absent, or volunteering in another capacity (e.g. marshals, ushers, etc.) Faculty who wish to purchase regalia for the ceremony may do so through Graduation Outlet.
Staff members may be asked to assist in several different roles during the Commencement, including stage set-up/take-down, collecting tickets, ushering, and mustering the graduates.